Requesting A Room
Who is Eligible to Stay?
The Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill is open to all families with a pediatric patient being treated for a serious illness or injury at an area hospital or a hospital-affiliated clinic. Families of patients older than 18 may only be referred if they are being managed as patients by pediatrics or pediatric surgery services. "Family" is defined as members of a patient's immediate family or those directly involved with caregiving. Families must have a permanent home address and must live more than 35 miles from Chapel Hill (families who live less than 35 miles are considered on a night-by-night basis.) There is a limit of one room per family. Most rooms can accommodate no more than 3 people. All rooms are on a wait-list basis.
How Can I Stay?
Staff from a local hospital or hospital-affiliated clinic must make the initial referral. If you have stayed at the House before, you can self-refer by calling our admissions office at 919.913.2043. Your need for a room will then be verified with the Hospital.
Are Admissions Prioritized?
Admission requests are prioritized based on the medical condition of the patient and the availability of other options for housing.
How Do I Know if I Have a Room?
We operate on a wait-list basis. You will need to call the House on the day you expect to arrive to find out if space is available.
What is the Cost?
While there is no required fee to stay in the House, we do suggest a modest donation ($10, $5 or even $2) to cover a small part of the cost of providing the supplies for your stay (cleaning products, linens, etc). While you are here, you will have food, lodging, laundry supplies and facilities, and transportation to and from the hospital! No one is ever turned away because they are unable to make a donation.
Is Transportation Provided?
UNC Hospitals provides a shuttle Monday through Friday and we are on the Chapel Hill Transit line with a stop in front of the House. We have limited transportation available on the weekends.
May I Have Visitors?
Yes, we encourage family and friends to visit with you. Visiting hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
May I receive mail at the House?
Yes, you can. Letters should be addressed: "patient's name, c/o Ronald McDonald House, 101 Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27517." Please be sure to include both the child's and the family's name on incoming mail to avoid any confusion in delivery!
What are the Rules?
First and foremost, our primary concern is that the guests staying at the House are safe and comfortable. We ask that each guest abide by the simple rules that we have established. Disruptive or irresponsible behavior that threatens the security or well-being of our guests will not be tolerated and will result in the loss of House privileges.
What does the House provide?
- Housing: We offer 29 hotel-style guest rooms. Most rooms at the House will accommodate up to three people. We have a limited number of larger rooms that can accommodate up to five people. Every room has a private bath and its own phone and voicemail.
- Food: We have a well-stocked pantry of donated foods for our families. During the week, we provide dinner. During the weekends, we frequently provide brunch on Saturday and Sunday in addition to dinner.
- Laundry Service: We offer free use of washers and dryers.
- Transportation: UNC Hospitals provides a free shuttle Monday through Friday and it runs 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. We are also on the Chapel Hill Transit line with a stop in front of the House and that transportation is also free. Emergency transportation is available as needed. We have limited transportation available on the weekends.
- Entertainment: DirectTV with 200 channels in the Great Room. Videos are available free of charge. There are three television rooms (two with closed captioning), puzzles, board games, computers, as well as an Xbox and Nintendo Game Cube system.